Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ground Squirrel #497

When I started this project, it was just to minimize the ground squirrel's tunnel-holes.  Nothing more than a little feeling of comfort and safety for our dog.  The ground squirrels can be seen climbing trees, but it is their underground access that I don't like.  (That and the ground squirrels dig up my potted plants.)  Those little tunnels are entered and exited by holes in the lawn that are just the size that can trip up a running dog.  Torn knee tendons are painful, expensive, and can change a dog's life.

So 10 years ago I started relocating ground squirrels.  Moving them to wild areas about town and into the countryside.  My neighbor had been using a Have-A-Hart to catch her ground squirrels, and I borrowed hers.  After 3 weeks of relocating 2-3 ground squirrels each day, I also purchased a relocation device.  And we started counting.   My neighbor moved away 8 years ago, leaving me to carry on.

Byam is looking at ground squirrel # 497.
Seriously, I don't live on an acreage, just a lot in town.
And no ground squirrel was harmed during the photography or relocation program.

No comments:

Post a Comment